About Me

My photo
This bloggy is watched over by an angel...angel lacylulu, we love u soooo much, u brought so much joy into our lives...we will miss u always....This blog is now dedicated to her memory!!!!

Friday, October 17, 2008

Just a Post of Prevention!!! UPdated!!

w00f's all,

me mama gits a newletter from the ASPCA , ever so often and this is one she thought we wood post...its always good to no watt can hurt us...and she shure didnt no her diabetes medicine cood b potentionly harmful for me...(she takes the glipizide). Remember how sick Jaffaman got when he ate the bottle of advil...please doggies and kittys, dont eat stuff thats not good fur us...

my friend Princess Isis and sister added this to the list of meds harmful to pets...

~~~~~~Thanks for the info! You should also put up there about weight loss pills- (had a case with some dogs that came in that ate some) its really bad for dogs! and also ALEEVE (someone gave their dog this too) is REALLY bad!

Basically, keep ALLLLL medication away from dogs unless its prescribed by their vet!~~~~~~

If you suspect your pet has ingested any of the following items, please call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center’s 24-hour hotline at (888) 426-4435. And remember to keep all medications tucked away in bathroom cabinets—and far from curious cats and dogs.

NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like ibuprofen or naproxen are the most common cause of pet poisoning in small animals, and can cause serious problems even in minimal doses. Pets are extremely sensitive to their effects, and may experience stomach and intestinal ulcers and—in the case of cats—kidney damage.

Antidepressants can cause vomiting and lethargy and certain types can lead to serotonin syndrome—a condition marked by agitation, elevated body temperature, heart rate and blood pressure, disorientation, vocalization, tremors and seizures.

Cats are especially sensitive to acetaminophen, which can damage red blood cells and interfere with their ability to transport oxygen. In dogs, it can cause liver damage and, at higher doses, red blood cell damage.

Methylphenidate (for ADHD)
Medications used to treat ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) in people act as stimulants in pets and can dangerously elevate heart rates, blood pressure and body temperature, as well as cause seizures.

Fluorouracil—an anti-cancer drug—is used topically to treat minor skin cancers and solar keratitis in humans. It has proven to be rapidly fatal to dogs, causing severe vomiting, seizures and cardiac arrest even in those who’ve chewed on discarded cotton swabs used to apply the medication.

Often the first line of defense against tuberculosis, isoniazid is particularly toxic for dogs because they don’t metabolize it as well as other species. It can cause a rapid onset of severe seizures that may ultimately result in death.

Pseudoephedrine is a popular decongestant in many cold and sinus products, and acts like a stimulant if accidentally ingested by pets. In cats and dogs, it causes elevated heart rates, blood pressure and body temperature as well as seizures.

Many oral diabetes treatments—including glipizide and glyburide—can cause a major drop in blood sugar levels of affected pets. Clinical signs of ingestion include disorientation, lack of coordination and seizures.

Vitamin D derivatives
Even small exposures to Vitamin D analogues like calcipotriene and calcitriol can cause life-threatening spikes in blood calcium levels in pets. Clinical signs of exposure—including vomiting, loss of appetite, increased urination and thirst due to kidney failure—often don't occur for more than 24 hours after ingestion.

Baclofen is a muscle relaxant that can impair the central nervous systems of cats and dogs. Some symptoms of ingestion include significant depression, disorientation, vocalization, seizures and coma, which can lead to death.

so b safe me friends,

~rocky and company~


Asta said...

Thank you so vewy much, fow all this infowmation.
It's so vewy scawy what can happen..ouw pawents twy to be vigilant, but sometimes it's not enough
love you
smoochie kisses

Peanut said...

Good to know. Thanks for telling us. I once ate mom's blood pressure pills but she saw me do it so she made me throw them up.

Princess Eva and Brice said...

Great info for everyone to keep.

princess eva

Deetz said...

Thank you for keeping us all informed about medicines and stuff and keeping us safe. I sure missed you lil Hudson and family. My mum is trying to help me get caughted up right now.
I waved to Angel Lacy and Gizmo last night and noticed it was a full moon and wondered if maybe they were reading a book together under the covers....

DogsDeserveFreedom said...

Very informative Rocky! I found your blog linked to someone else's and thought I'd pop by for a peek. Do you mind if I link my blog to yours?

Sunny,Scooter,Jamie said...

Hey Rocky!!!! Good to see you man. Thanks for the info-Mom says pretty much anything she does not give to us is bad for us...buzz kill. We are happy your mama stayed out of the big house. And glad our mom fixed(she thinks) our puter!!!
Havea great weekend y'all!!
Hugs & Hi5s

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Wow we didn't know all that. Thanks for sharing. Mom keeps all her medicine way out of our reach. As you know Callie is a leaper...

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Peanut said...

Rocky Dad was only home for 2 weeks. He left this morning to finish his deployment. I'm glad also that mom saw me eat her pills though I wasn't at the time. haha

BenTheRotti said...

Hi Rocky,

Thank you so much for all of that information, Mum is going to save it just in case. I promise I won't ever do that though. Mum is pretty good at keeping meds locked away because of the beans

love and tailwags,

Ben xxx

The OP Pack said...

Wow,thatis a lot of furry good information. We will have to paw at Mom to read this and file it. Thank woo.

Woos, the OP Pack

The Cat Realm said...

Very good post! It is so important to educate the humans about all these things!!!

Two Schnauzers from New England said...

Hi, Rocky and company -

Thanks for all of that information. Mama and Papa take ibuprofen which they keep out of reach.

We love and miss you!

Hershey and Kaci

Lorenza said...

Hi, Rocky!
Thanks for the info!
Kisses and hugs

Snowy and Crystal said...

what an informative post

thanks pal

Malts Paws

Maggie and Mitch said...

Thank you for this post, Rocky! It's great information!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Super Boy & Baby-Licious said...

Thank you so much for all this information!

Boy n Baby

Snowball said...

That is a long list of medication that is harmful to us. 'luckily I dun like pills of any type.

Thanks for sharing.


Isis said...

Thanks for the info! You should also put up there about weight loss pills- (had a case with some dogs that came in that ate some) its really bad for dogs! and also ALEEVE (someone gave their dog this too) is REALLY bad!

Basically, keep ALLLLL medication away from dogs unless its prescribed by their vet!

the 4 Bs said...

wow, that's some scary stuff. we don't want to take human drugs, they sound scary. thanks for telling us about that.


Tesla said...

Fanks fur comin beh an wishin gud wishes an soughts. dem meants lots. :)

Deefor said...

Thanks for the warnings. I'll stay away from that stuff.


Jan's Funny Farm said...

An important post! And good information.

Chef said...

Thanks for the tip, Rocky. Now that I'm so tall, all that stuff is like up in the ceiling! We always need a reminder, though, in case something falls down. I'll be very careful.


Kapp pack said...

Great information!

Kisses, Sky boy

duo_disaster said...

Thank you so much for the info.
Its so informative!