I have pulled my story about the dog that ate all the yeast rolls...Bloat is a very serious condition that dogs, esp big dogs get...It is life threatening...sooo sorry...Jan's Funny Farm reminded me how very serious it is.....again let me apologize.....Peace, Claudette
Jan's Funny Farm said.
We thought the story was hilarious the first time we read it too, but since that time, we have learned that yeast dough is very dangerous for dogs to ingest. We hope you won't take offense, but we thought we would leave this information so no animals or humans will try this because the story - which we hope if fiction - is so funny.
Quoted from Better Dog Network & Humane Society: "Uncooked yeast dough is very harmful to animals. When ingested the yeast will “rise” in the stomach, causing the dough to increase to several times it’s size. Because the dough will often expand to several times it’s size, it poses the danger of expanding your pets stomach. In addition to this, fermenting dough produces alcohol. Thus, ingesting yeast dough can lead to alcohol toxicity. Symptoms include vomiting, retching, stomach discomfort, cramps, and sluggishness. Left untreated, Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus, commonly known as bloat, can be the end result. Bloat is characterized by the stomach swelling and twisting at the esophagus and/or the lower intestine. The bloated stomach obstructs veins in the abdomen, leading to low blood pressure, shock, and damage to internal organs."